An Invitation to my 120th Birthday Celebration.

After 39 years of teaching, my last words to my students on that final day came in the form of an invitation: "You're all invited to my 120th Birthday. Celebrate it by skiing with me." I think it was Sara who shot up her hand saying: "Wait, wait." (pausing for a quick calculation) "I'll be 77 years old!"
"Don't worry." says I, "I'll slow down for you!"

"Never limit yourself." had been an underlying lesson for my students. I realized that I'd need to engineer a comprehensive plan for myself to optimize the quality of my life to 120 and Beyond.

In order to take good care of your brain for the long game, begin by taking mindful care of your body. Read on to chart your own course for 120 and Beyond.


Wednesday, October 16, 2024

HOW TO GET TO 120 AND BEYOND WITH A PROSTATE CANCER DIAGNOSIS

I've been diagnosed with the low-risk prostate cancer described in this link:  #1 Click HERE for details:   

"Low-risk prostate cancer often grows very slowly, or doesn't grow at all. Because of this, a treatment approach known as "active surveillance" can be considered as an alternative to radiotherapy or surgery. In this approach, the tumor is monitored regularly and only treated with radiotherapy or surgery if it grows."


To be extra vigilant, Dr. Pasin (my excellent urologist) ordered my recent biopsy be sent to a DNA lab for further study to:

"help determine if there is a genetic mutation that increases risk of prostate cancer or if my family is at risk."

But there's been a delay, the lab is heavily backlogged: 

I just talked to Paula, Dr. Pasin's office manager. She has traced the prostate biopsy DNA delay back to an outside lab that is seriously backlogged. At my request she will:  1. ask Pasin to press Dr. Su (at the lab) to expedite. 2. She also agreed to get admin. names and phone numbers at Dr. Su's lab so that I can hound them.  Next, I will research other labs (not backlogged) that will shorten the wait time.      

#2 Click HERE for a decision aid for patients with my diagnosis.

#3   This link describes the genetics of prostate cancer that I've just begun to study since the DNA analysis may require family history information.   

Click HERE for DNA test details:



While the prostate is part of male anatomy, females have homologous glands: Skene's glands which are a source of PSA, prostate-specific antigen in women.


Additional links:

1. From Saint John's Cancer Institute:

No comments:

Post a Comment