An Invitation to my 120th Birthday Celebration.

After 39 years of teaching, my last words to my students on that final day came in the form of an invitation: "You're all invited to my 120th Birthday. Celebrate it by skiing with me." I think it was Sara who shot up her hand saying: "Wait, wait." (pausing for a quick calculation) "I'll be 77 years old!"
"Don't worry." says I, "I'll slow down for you!"

"Never limit yourself." had been an underlying lesson for my students. I realized that I'd need to engineer a comprehensive plan for myself to optimize the quality of my life to 120 and Beyond.

In order to take good care of your brain for the long game, begin by taking mindful care of your body. Read on to chart your own course for 120 and Beyond.


Monday, February 11, 2019

Optimizing your Body, Optimizing Your Brain

For Bill.  Optimizing your Body... with Cardio Work Outs




The human brain burns enormous quantities of oxygen and fuel, so it is important to maintain an optimal cardio vascular system, which can be accomplished by walking, jogging, and cycling.  Bill, a friend, is interested in a Spin class, so I've posted three video clips that I hope will take him to the next step.   My gym recently opened a new building with this digital Spin console. Bill, you can select a ride  choosing from over 200 choices on the control panel below, then climb on a bike! 

For first timers, a good goal is to pace yourself for a 55 minute ride. Pedal until you need to ease back... take a minute or two d\pedaling at an easy pace to recover your breath, then pick up the pace again.  Repeat.  You can also jump into a Spin class as a beginner and use the same strategy.  Go at your own pace, but ease back when necessary so you can complete the 55 minute class.



Bill the video below will help you become familiar with the equipment and in this clip, the emergency brake.  Later you will have time to try a live Spin class, which will challenge your cardio vascular system, pour extra oxygen into your brain and contribute to your 120 and Beyond plan.  
I'm on a bike or in a spin class 3-4 times a week, it would be better to have a Spinning partner!











No comments:

Post a Comment