An Invitation to my 120th Birthday Celebration.

After 39 years of teaching, my last words to my students on that final day came in the form of an invitation: "You're all invited to my 120th Birthday. Celebrate it by skiing with me." I think it was Sara who shot up her hand saying: "Wait, wait." (pausing for a quick calculation) "I'll be 77 years old!"
"Don't worry." says I, "I'll slow down for you!"

"Never limit yourself." had been an underlying lesson for my students. I realized that I'd need to engineer a comprehensive plan for myself to optimize the quality of my life to 120 and Beyond.

In order to take good care of your brain for the long game, begin by taking mindful care of your body. Read on to chart your own course for 120 and Beyond.


Saturday, October 29, 2022

NATURE BASED GUIDED IMAGERY

Nature Based Guided Imagery reduces anxiety, increases positive pshchological health and wellbeing, enhances vitality, happiness, positive mood and self esteem. See the two research studies cited below. 
 
This is the first of a collection of Relaxation experiences.  Come back often.
 
PROCEDURE: Find a comfortable quiet place (in or out of doors). Listening with headphones is recommended but not required. 
 
A. Sit in a comfortable position with your back straight and your head at the "balancing point" requiring the least amount of muscle power. Start the video: allow your eyes to close (or watch the video and allow your eyes to close at your discretion). Follow the relaxation breathing activity. Follow the muscle relaxation activiey. 
 
B. As an alternative: listen to the sound track lying flat in a comfortable place. 
 

 
HISTORY: Just prior to a science test I would be asked by my students to "walk" them through a 5 minute guided imagery and relaxation exercise so their test performance would increase. I'd previously given them the data from peer reviewed research like this one: 
 
1. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10778243/ Today there is a greater need for anxiety and stress reduction thrdough Nature Based Guided Imagery. This peer reviewed study provides the data that illuminates the benefits of this activity. 
 
2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6176042/ Here is a quote Jessica Nguyen and Eric Brymer's research in the National Institutes of Health Library of Medicine: 
 
Nature and Anxiety Research indicates that nature can facilitate various positive psychological health and wellbeing outcomes (Wheeler et al., 2012; Carrus et al., 2017; Fabjanski and Brymer, 2017; Lawton et al., 2017; Panno et al., 2017; Yeh et al., 2017; Schweitzer et al., 2018). For example, experiences in nature have been shown to enhance vitality (Ryan et al., 2010), happiness (Capaldi et al., 2014), mood and self-esteem (Barton et al., 2011), and reduce stress (Kaplan, 1995).

No comments:

Post a Comment