An Invitation to my 120th Birthday Celebration.

After 39 years of teaching, my last words to my students on that final day came in the form of an invitation: "You're all invited to my 120th Birthday. Celebrate it by skiing with me." I think it was Sara who shot up her hand saying: "Wait, wait." (pausing for a quick calculation) "I'll be 77 years old!"
"Don't worry." says I, "I'll slow down for you!"

"Never limit yourself." had been an underlying lesson for my students. I realized that I'd need to engineer a comprehensive plan for myself to optimize the quality of my life to 120 and Beyond.

In order to take good care of your brain for the long game, begin by taking mindful care of your body. Read on to chart your own course for 120 and Beyond.


Monday, November 1, 2021

The Importance of the Lymphatic System for Longevity and a Longer Health Span:

Monday, November 1, 2021

Following Tai Chi exercise on the beach this morning our group gathered for coffee and conversation. When you examine Blue Zones around the world, places where it’s common for people to live actively beyond 100, a common characteristic they share is an unusually high level of community interaction. So our Tai Chi coffee and conversation group is building our very own personal Blue Zone (click HERE for more).

Our Tai Chi chat jumped across an encyclopedia of topics from the evolution of kanji and learning new languages to a podcast by Dr. Lemole and Dr. Oz. I took a special interest in this podcast about the lymphatic system because it informs our effort to increase health-span.

Our lymphatic system removes impurities and waste products from the fluids that surround our cells, protecting us from toxins and maintaining our immune system other anatomical systems at their best. I just learned that when the lymphatic system is blocked from doing its job, maladies like alzheimer’s have nothing to hold them back.
 

November 3, just finished the informative podcast which is so interesting, we can add it to our “book club” list of topics. Take notes, and we’ll gather back together for a discussion of
THE HEALTH-SPAN ENCYCLOPAEDIA.  


1. Because the podcast overflows with too many anatomy and physiology terms, it will help to first watch this introductory video from the National Institute of Neruological Disorders and Stroke.


Dr. Daniel Reich from NINDS discusses how our brains may drain waste through lymphatic vessels, the body’s under studied clean up system.



2. Now click HERE for the Podcast: The Key to Optimal Health

By: Dr. Oz and Dr. Lemole

 The first segment (4 minutes) is largely advertising. As time is precious you can “fast forward” using the time bar at the bottom of the podcast by moving the scrubber to 4:00. 

This podcast comes recommended by:  _____ ______ (waiting for permission).


This is an introduction to the importance of the lymphatic system. We will dive deeper into this ocean of lymph to learn how it will contribute to our healthspan, what I used to call longevity.

The brain depends on the lymphatic system to remove toxins, and other molecules that contribute, for example, to Alzheimer amyloid plaques.



No comments:

Post a Comment