An Invitation to my 120th Birthday Celebration.

After 39 years of teaching, my last words to my students on that final day came in the form of an invitation: "You're all invited to my 120th Birthday. Celebrate it by skiing with me." I think it was Sara who shot up her hand saying: "Wait, wait." (pausing for a quick calculation) "I'll be 77 years old!"
"Don't worry." says I, "I'll slow down for you!"

"Never limit yourself." had been an underlying lesson for my students. I realized that I'd need to engineer a comprehensive plan for myself to optimize the quality of my life to 120 and Beyond.

In order to take good care of your brain for the long game, begin by taking mindful care of your body. Read on to chart your own course for 120 and Beyond.


Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Can neurons be stimulated to regrow?

A SHARPER MIND: TAI CHI CAN IMPROVE COGNITIVE FUNCTION
Harvard Health Publishing article forwarded by Bill Steel


Research now shows that the brain has the ability to grow new cells, and make new connections throughout your entire healthspan. Various forms of exercise including Tai Chi can help improve executive function.








In one study, researchers had nearly 400 Chinese men and women with some cognitive impairment perform either tai chi or a stretching and toning program three times a week. After a year, the tai chi group showed greater improvements, and only 2% of that group progressed to dementia, while 11% from the traditional exercise group did.”
 
This article is an analysis of 20 studies of Tai Chi and cognition.
 
Vince teaching Tai Chi on his 88th birthday.



Vince teaches Tai Chi on the beach.




2. On another line of research, there is a long history of using mushrooms as medicine in Japan, Korea, and China to enhance and protect innate defense mechanisms of the human body which are not found in western medicine.  For example: 


A globular, cascading icicle-forming mushroom when cooked tastes like lobster or shrimp.  Lion’s mane mushroom researcher Kara-Jiishi discovered in 1993 in Japan that this mushroom stimulates nerves to regrow.

More coming soon.  Stay tuned.


See also Dr. Juan R. Sanchez-Ramos. Department of Neurology, University of South Florida... Neurogenesis, the regrowing of neurons when treated with psilocybin.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comment. How long has CellCynergy Nutrition been in business?

    ReplyDelete