An Invitation to my 120th Birthday Celebration.

After 39 years of teaching, my last words to my students on that final day came in the form of an invitation: "You're all invited to my 120th Birthday. Celebrate it by skiing with me." I think it was Sara who shot up her hand saying: "Wait, wait." (pausing for a quick calculation) "I'll be 77 years old!"
"Don't worry." says I, "I'll slow down for you!"

"Never limit yourself." had been an underlying lesson for my students. I realized that I'd need to engineer a comprehensive plan for myself to optimize the quality of my life to 120 and Beyond.

In order to take good care of your brain for the long game, begin by taking mindful care of your body. Read on to chart your own course for 120 and Beyond.


Sunday, May 19, 2019

TAI CHI FOR A LONGER HEALTHSPAN

Ikigai and My Tai Chi Community for a longer 
and happier health span. 

August 28th, 2018.  Meet Vince McCullough our 88 year old Tai Chi Master whose group I walked into one morning while I was on my beach walk, part of my 10,000 steps per day exercise goal.  

Follow along with Vince as he demonstrates the Emeritus Short Yang Form.



In this photo Vince is celebrating his 88th birthday by leading his Tai Chi class with over 100 students.  That’s Wendy Ma on stage so students can have a better view.

Scroll down for two Tai Chi lessons.

Tai Chi 7 days a week, with Friday at the Laguna Hills Community Center. Here, Vince has asked Wendy to demonstrate the Long Yang form: her movements are like a beautiful heron taking flight.  With over 100 students in the class, Vince has smaller groups lead by additional dedicated teachers like Wendy and Matthew, Jim, Bill, and others.






Two videos below show the Final Exam of his last class. 


#1. Wendy and Matthew lead a group through their final forms.




#2 Below, Jim leads his group through the Long Yang Form...

After class, a group gathers for coffee and conversation, where performing arts, philosophy, and wildly diverse topics are discussed and good books are recommended. Together with the movement of Tai Chi, I have an epiphany:  an Ikigai Blue Zone community is emerging.  Ikigai is the Japanese concept of having purpose in life.






No comments:

Post a Comment